01 09 10

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

LiTelle Designs Bold and Beautiful Beaded Peyote Statement Jewelry

Lorie Littell Luers
LiTelle Designs

 Beaded Embroidery Necklace, Collar, Choker, Charoite, Purple Statement Necklace
Purple Beaded Embroidery Collar Statement Necklace
#makeAstatement’s First statement piece designer feature! We start this blog off with a worthy designer named Lorie Littell Luers the owner and designer of LiTelle Designs. Her pieces are bold and intricate! Her attention to detail is admirable, and results in intriguing and striking jewelry. What are her feelings on jewelry that makes a statement? “I like bold pieces, because why bother putting something on if doesn't make an impact” Lorie exudes! Her jewelry echoes this sentiment in piece after piece, from gorgeous over-sized cabochon bracelets to daring peyote bib necklaces.


 Beaded Jewelry Bead Embroidery Wide Statement Cuff

Beaded Jewelry Bead Embroidery Wide Statement Cuff

Her background was computer programming and accounting.  She needed a creative outlet, and found it making jewelry. She tells a story about how she used to take jewelry to a local jeweler to have him alter the pieces to look the way she wanted. Lorie discovered that because she had small wrist and a slim neck, she often struggled with fit. “Purchased bracelets were way too large and would slide off my hand” she reflects.  About twelve years ago she walked into a bead store for the first time and saw a beautiful peyote bracelet.  The shop owner said she could teach her how to make it.  “I was hooked!” Lorie divulged. Since then she has explored various mediums including wire wrapping, and working with metal. Her passion keeps bring her around to the peyote style of jewelry. “I keep going back to beaded designs” Lorie Says. “I like to wear them because they're lightweight, comfortable and have endless colors and designs. I enjoy making them because of the unlimited possibilities of the designs and I can work on a piece while traveling.” This is important to her since her husband and he travel often. They have been to Europe, South America, Central America, Mexico and all over the fifty states.


Beaded Jewelry Statement Bead Embroidery Swarovski Eagle Necklace

Lorie begins her jewelry process by making jewelry for herself. “While I'm wearing them, if friends start asking me to make them something comparable and strangers compliment them, then I will make similar pieces for my web site.” she explains. Lorie branched out into selling her jewelry when local gift shop approached her about her peyote bracelets. Her business grew from there. At one time she had peyote bracelets in several stores around her state. In 2007 when she started her Etsy shop, it did so well she now exclusively sells on that site! Lorie remembers another unusual way she has sold her work. “I've sold a few pieces off my neck, literally.  I was in Vegas recently wearing my Swarovski Eagle (picture to the right) necklace and a lady approached me about it.  I sold it to her right there.  I use a phone app to accept credit cards. A few weeks later she bought the cuff to match on my Etsy site.”


 Beaded, Bead Embroidered Cream Cuff - White Plume Agate

Beaded, Bead Embroidered Cream Cuff - White Plume Agate

Lorie’s personal style is where she gets a lot of inspiration. “I wear a lot of black and I probably incorporate black cabs and beads in a lot of my designs. I like necklaces with fringe.  I think it's sexy and feels wonderful on your chest.” she expresses. “I like bold pieces because why bother putting something on if doesn't make an impact!”  Most of her pieces have a focal point or center piece. “I usually start with that focal piece and expand from there.” she explains. “Most of the embroidered cuffs are not laid out ahead of time.  I start filling in around the cabochon with crystals, beads, pearls and other elements until I have a finished piece.” Even though each statement piece takes a painstaking amount of time, surprisingly enough, this is not what the majority of Lorie’s time is spent on. “I spend more time researching jewelry,  learning a new technique, ordering supplies, designing a piece,  taking photographs of them, uploading them onto Etsy and keeping my studio organized, then  actually making the jewelry.” she confesses. “The bead embroidered pieces do take a lot of time though.  My wide bead embroidered cuffs take up to 15 hours for one cuff.”  Lorie has made a few beaded necklaces that have taken twice that amount of time! “I have to enjoy it, right! Bead embroidery is relaxing to do and the finished project is tremendously rewarding.” she concludes.


 Beaded Embroidery Cuff Bracelet, Large Pyrite Stone Cabochon, Faceted Teardrop Pyrite, Statement Bracelet Cuff

Beaded Embroidery Large Pyrite Stone Cabochon Statement Bracelet Cuff

LiTelle Designs has many fabulous designs, and statement pieces! Each with their own flare, and personality, all of which make quite a statement! Even though Lorie has had much success in making jewelry that makes a statement, there is one thing she wishes she could change, the name of her shop. “LiTelle Designs is from my maiden name which is Littell.  A marketing friend advised me to change the spelling so it wouldn't be pronounced little. I kind of wished I'd kept the original spelling but after selling over 1,000 pieces of jewelry, I think it's too late now.” Lorie admits. Well, by whatever name, a rose still smells as sweet! These one of a kind, standout statement pieces are beautiful to say the least! Each one makes a great style statement and addition to any wardrobe!
Lorie sells her work on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop/LiTelle

~Adrienne Adelle

You can also see her work featured on the #makeAstatement Face Book page this week at https://www.facebook.com/groups/716679285020768/


Photos of the designer:
Lorie modeling some of her Statement Pieces!

No comments :

Post a Comment