01 09 10

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sparklen Stones Exclusive and Unique Jewelry Designs by Alessandra Mendek - Bright colors Geometric shapes!

This week's feature artist is Alessandra Mendek, the owner and designer for Sparklen Stones Jewelry. Her name is fabulous! ...as well as quite fitting because it's uniqueness is reflected in her work, and life. This Eastern Pennsylvania designer creates beautiful and brightly colored statement pieces. She started designing jewelry in 2011, but her work is beyond her experience in the industry. Having an eye for cohesion, her use of varied chain shapes and brilliant colored stones, make for a pop art reminiscent jewelry sensation! The geometric lines are smartly placed to highlight the bold color choices. She mixes rich jewel tones with natural materials for a modern twist on color blocking. I had the wonderful opportunity to ask Alessandra some questions to further understand her design inspiration, and experience.




I am in black, Alessandra is in green.

Adrienne: What's your educational background and general interests?
Alessandra: I attended college briefly as a business major and after some time decided that I didn't want to work in corporate America and that my true passion & interest was in the beauty & fashion industry ---managing upscale salons & spas.  It was through these experiences that I learned my love for accessories and all things fashion related while attending various hair & fashion runway shows, while helping accessorize the models.  As my interest for the hobby grew, I started taking apart jewelry that I already owned to see what I could come up with - I am completely self taught in the art of designing jewelry.
When I am not designing, in my spare time, I also enjoy wine tasting, cooking & attending cooking classes, baking, cake decorating and gardening.
 Adrienne: What does a statement piece mean to you?
Alessandra: For me – it’s a way for a woman to express her unique individuality without having to say a word! (well said!)
Adrienne: How does your jewelry make a statement?
Alessandra: My jewelry designs allow women to step out of the mundane & define themselves as unique, confident & passionate individuals.
Adrienne: When did you realize you wanted to become a jewelry designer?


Alessandra: Back in 2010 – I was looking for something more rewarding to do with my life and decided to leave the beauty & fashion industry.  It was at a wedding in 2011 that we (my husband & I) were attending, and of course I take notice to how all the women were dressed – especially with their accessories – and realized that even though each one is unique in her own way, all the jewelry that they were wearing that evening appeared to be purchased in the same stores (completely agree!)There was a lack of individuality among them.  It was then – at that moment – that I decided to become a jewelry designer!
Adrienne: What was the first statement piece of jewelry you ever designed?
Alessandra: I remember that well – my first statement piece was a stunning webbed metal collar necklace with various shapes and sizes of amethyst agate stones wire wrapped on the collar –stunning piece! (It really is! I was shocked to see how amazing it was for a first stab at it! Very well done! Picture to the right.)
Adrienne: How long does it usually take you to construct a statement piece of jewelry?
Alessandra: It depends.  Usually a piece will take me anywhere from 2-3 days to create.
Adrienne: Describe the general process you go through to design and realize a statement piece of jewelry.


Alessandra: First I need to visualize how it would look more or less – sometimes sketching it out or just playing around with different stones and materials until I come up with something I really love.  I need to make sure that all the components are cohesive within each other and compliment each other at the same time.  Then I’ll actually make the piece – if I love it – great it becomes part of the collection – if I’m not totally in love with the piece – it’s taken apart and I start over – changing out the stones or other materials.  This process happens a few times – that’s why it takes me 2 -3 days to design a piece.  Sometimes, though, I do get lucky and fall in love with my design the first time. (I love the passion! Taking apart a piece you have made is so hard, but the commentment to passion is admirable, and a sign of a true designer!)
Adrienne: What do you believe makes a quality piece of jewelry?
Alessandra: High quality craftsmanship, high quality materials used and a strong attention to detail.
 Adrienne: Do you consider yourself an artist?
Alessandra: Yes – Absolutely!
Adrienne: What matters to you most as a jewelry designer?
Alessandra: That each one of my unique statement pieces finds a good home! (great answer!)
Adrienne: What's your favorite part about conceptualizing a design?
Alessandra: The excitement in seeing the piece actually is being created and knowing that someone, somewhere will be wearing a design that was made by me.
Adrienne: What advice do you have for aspiring jewelry designers?
Alessandra: The best advice I can give is you need to have patience in this business.  Success isn’t going to come overnight.  Practice perfecting your techniques and learn as much as you can about your craft.  But most importantly – LOVE what you do and be confident in your designs!
Adrienne: What do you like best about designing jewelry?
Alessandra: It’s fun to create something that only I can visualize and the sense of fulfillment that I get after designing each new piece.  I love when people appreciate my work and understand the time and effort that went into each piece… seeing the excitement on their faces when they know they found that one piece of jewelry that absolutely makes them happy…that one piece that only they will own…that makes it all so worth it!
Adrienne: How would you define your personal style?
Alessandra: I would say my style is a mix of fashionably chic pieces – I don’t feel that I have only one style – it’s really whatever I’m feeling that day.
Adrienne: Where do you get your inspiration?
Alessandra: I love just playing with the stones until something clicks…I never follow trends and I’m inspired by color, first & foremost or a vision to wear some idea that I have in my head.
Adrienne: If you could define your jewelry in three words, what would they be?
Alessandra: Unique.  Fashionable.  Fearless.
Adrienne: What are your favorite colors to work with and why?
Alessandra: They seem to change depending on my mood but right now I’m really into green.  It just has such a freshness about it (I agree).  It’s the color of balance and harmony - being a combination of yellow and blue, green encompasses the mental clarity & optimism of yellow with the emotional calm & insight of blue – inspiring hope & generosity.
Adrienne: What are your favorite materials to work with and why?
Alessandra: I’m crazy about agates.  There are so many different varieties and colors.  I especially love that they are the oldest protection stone.  I also enjoy designing my statement pieces with acrylic materials to make them big and bold but also lightweight at the same time.




To enjoy Alessandra's fabulous statement pieces check out here Etsy site at https://www.etsy.com/shop/SparklenStones or click on the pictures above to find out more about them. Alessandra also has a facebook page. Check it out at https://www.facebook.com/alessandra.mendek for an up-to-date feed of her designs. Alessandra's work is #makeAstatement in all its bold, bright, beauty! Check her out!





1 comment :

  1. Where can I purchase the purple agate looking beads in the picture at the bottom of your article? Since it has been sold, I can't buy it.

    ReplyDelete